Pipe with a metal bowl and a stem made of wood. The upper part of the bowl is made from a gilt metal button and is attached to a cylindrical post with a flange at its base, also made of metal. The bowl has a shallow concavity at the top, with a hole that continues through to the stem. The pipe stem is in two longitudinal sections that have been bound together with a lashing made of hide, which also wraps around a flange at the base of the bowl, fastening it to the stem. A pick made from two iron nails is attached to the pipe by a hide thong.
The button used for the pipe bowl has a message in raised letters on the underside that has been partially obstructed where the post has been attached. The message on complete specimens of this button known from other source reads:
GONE N.E. OF PT BARROW / INVESTIGATOR – AUGT 1850 / ENTERPRISE – AUGT 1851 / PLOVER AT PORT CLARENCE / 1852 [in center] / SQUADRON WITH STEAMERS SEARCHING N & W / OF PARRY ISLAND 1852 / DEPOTS OF PROVISIONS / REFUGE INLET . PORT LEOPOLD / & ADMIRALTY INLET IN BARROW STRAITS
These so-called 'rescue buttons' (also known as 'postal buttons') were made by the British Navy and distrtibuted to Inuit during the search for the missing 1845 Franklin Expedition. The British Navy hoped would fall into the hands of survivors of the Franklin Expedition, informing them of where they could seek help.
From Card: "LENT TO PRINCE OF WALES NORTHERN HERITAGE CENTER, 6-3-92. LOAN RETURNED: DEC 21 1992. "